Hellenic American University’s TESOL professional development programs combine online courses and a supervised teaching practicum in a real classroom setting, together with close faculty mentoring and academic support throughout your studies. They lead to one of the following qualifications:
- M.A. in Applied Linguistics TESOL
- Diploma in TESOL
- ESOL Endorsement (Manchester campus only)
All three professional development programs, with the exception of the practicum, which is conducted on site, are offered in Manchester via e-learning. In Athens the M.A. and Diploma programs are offered via e-learning or on-site or a combination of the two.
- Diploma/ Endorsement $6,000
- MAAL TESOL program $10,500
- View the online course catalog for the MAAL TESOL
- Download the Professional Development Programs in TESOL Flyer
- MAAL TESOL: Sequence of Courses
Students in all programs complete the same set of 5 TESOL-focused courses and the Practicum. These have been approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education as a Professional Educator Preparation Program for mainstream teachers in public schools to obtain ESOL endorsement. Novice teachers who follow the same series of courses earn a Diploma in TESOL awarded by Hellenic American University.
Students in the Master’s program then continue with 6 additional courses and complete a thesis to earn a Master of Arts degree in Applied Linguistics TESOL.
For a detailed view of the program and course descriptions, see the course catalog for the MAAL.
Students in the Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics program explore the relationship between language, culture and society to solve real-world problems in language teaching, language testing and intercultural communication. The program has a multidisciplinary scope, drawing from linguistics, psychology, sociology, ethnography, and education, and leads to two main areas (Strands) of specialization: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and Testing.
Strengths of the MAAL Program
Students in the program benefit from:
- A practicum in a real classroom setting to develop advanced teaching skills.
- Opportunity to earn European-recognized certification as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language.
- A program that prepares you equally well for professional development and for doctoral studies.
- Courses that develop skills in using technology for language teaching in the classroom and online.
- Courses to analyze language in the real world and classroom settings.
- Courses that develop skills for research projects in linguistics and language education.
- Option to earn the International Tutor Training Program certification as a writing tutor from the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- Faculty mentoring and personal support for your academic and professional development.
- Option to earn certification in the teaching of English as a Foreign Language.
- Career counseling and opportunities for networking through the Career Development Office during and after completing the programs.
Features of the Online Program
The MAAL-TESOL online program has been designed to fully engage and support students throughout their studies. The program features:
- Weekly live video sessions with the instructor and other students. And small classes—never more than 10 students—that ensure that everyone participates and gets the individual attention they need.
- An easy-to-use learning platform and a rich variety of interactive communication tools including video blogs, journals and discussion forums—all designed to make it easy for students to share their experience and insights and questions with their teacher and fellow students.
- One-on-one support from a faculty mentor throughout the program and technical assistance whenever needed.
- Help in building an individual electronic portfolio for potential employers that showcases the student’s work in the program—a video of a class they’ve taught, perhaps, and a syllabus they’ve designed or a research project they’ve done.
A key feature for all students in the program is the Practicum, in which you will develop your teaching skills through observation and practice teaching in a real classroom setting under the supervision of an experienced, qualified teacher.
Depending on your professional and academic goals, you can choose to do your practicum abroad or in the United States.
|Athens Practicum:||This option is a good choice if you’re interested in a TESOL career abroad. You will be placed in a reputable language schools in Athens, Greece, with a qualified, experienced teacher as your supervisor.|
|US Practicum:||If you’re primary goal is to obtain an ESOL endorsement, you will want to do a supervised practicum at a US public school. Placements are available in New Hampshire public schools, but one can be arranged in your area if you live out of state.|