The Business Computing and Big Data Analytics strand bring students onto the edge of technological and market advances. Big Data Analytics is a fast-growing field that is being used in a large variety of businesses. It has allowed organizations to understand the significance of analyzing large amounts of business-related data to reduce costs, facilitate decision-making and create new products and services.
The Business Computing and Big Data Analytics strand covers both the technological concepts behind Big Data Analytics and the main means of applying this technology to Business Computing. It comprises advanced knowledge and applications of investigative data mining techniques, data warehousing, artificial intelligence & neural networks, as well as IT strategy and management based on such technologies.
Strengths of the MSIT Strand in Business Computing and Big Data Analytics
The program focuses on applying emerging technologies in real case studies in a range of hands–on courses and exploiting advanced simulation software on big data analytics and business computing from IBM and Microsoft.
Additional program strengths include the following:
- Participation in ongoing faculty-student research projects in areas such as data mining, social network analysis and big data analytics.
- Internationally recognized visiting faculty and industry experts.
- Wide selection of electives such as IT Strategy and Management, Investigative Data Mining, e-business Technology and Business Computing.
Business Computing and Big Data Analytics Career Paths
The program is designed to support a variety of career opportunities in the field of Business Computing and Big Data Analytics. Alumni will be able to follow career paths both in the design and development of big data analytics algorithms and technologies, and in the implementation of such technologies in business use cases and e-business applications.
You will need to complete a total of 4 core courses, 6 elective courses, plus a thesis project, plus a Graduate Seminar course (36 credits in total) to earn a Master of Science in Information Technology over a period of eighteen months (three semesters).
- View the online course catalog for the MSIT
For the Business Computing and Big Data Analytics program, the elective courses can be chosen from the following group of courses:
- IT 6274 Data-mining and Data-Warehousing
- IT 6277 Artificial Intelligence & Neural Networks
- IT 6530 Graph Theory
- IT 6540 Investigative Data Mining
- IT 6550 Social Network Analysis and Mining
- IT 6545 Pattern Analysis and Detection
- IT 6263 e-Business Technologies
- IT 6122 e-Business and e-Commerce Management
- IT 6267 e-Commerce Programming
- MGT6126 Project Management
What You'll Learn
On completing the program you will have acquired basic knowledge and skills in a variety of fields in Information Technology, including database management, project management, data and communication networks, as well as specialized skills in data analytics algorithms, data mining, data warehousing, pattern analysis, neural networks, and application methods of such technologies. In addition, you will acquire teamwork abilities and a capacity for outcome-oriented deliverables.
In the context of the program you will also have generated research products such as papers, theses, and prototype systems, which integrate the knowledge gained throughout your studies.